Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 22 - Wednesday Weigh Day "Don't Give Up!"


Well, it's Wednesday again and I had what could have been a huge set back for me. I had the ultimate temptation to give up. I want to be totally transparent with you and hope that it will some how be an encouragement. This past week I have been sick. Had a fever Saturday and Sunday and to top it off, the old monthly cycle thing was going on. =( So, I was a little nervous about weighing in. I was actually thinking that I just might not lose as much, never dreaming I would gain. HOWEVER, I did gain this week...a little over a pound. I WAS DEVASTATED!!!

I was overwhelmed almost instantly with all kinds of thoughts. VERY negative thoughts like, you'll never get this weight off. Why bother? It is hopeless, and several other "give up" type thoughts. Well, I laid on the bed, feeling so sorry for myself. Then I thought. NO! Those are lies. I have made a commitment to taking my body back. I knew it was a slow and long steady process. It was unrealistic to think there would never be a week that I might not lose. Then, I started thinking. What are the facts on our weight and how it fluctuates? And what about our menstrual cycle and how might that effect my weight? I mean, geez! I had even walked 30 minutes a day on the treadmill- while I was sick, even with my fever! And speaking of, how does our body react to being sick? Do we retain fluids? Burn less calories? My mind was racing.

I got a hold of myself. Talked to my husband and two of my best buddies (my sister and my daughter) and they both encouraged me (As did my hubby). I then calmed down. Reloaded my commitment gun and asked God to help me stay encouraged. I also asked him to help me keep going and to win the battle of getting my body back.

I found an article entitled " Why Does Your Weight Fluctuate From Day to Day?" which was so incredibly encouraging for my situation. Here are a few excerpts that were very helpful to me that I thought might be to you as well:

"Why Does Your Weight Fluctuate From Day to Day?"

Time Frame

In order to get a more accurate reading, experts stress the importance of weighing oneself at the same time of day, wearing similar clothing and using the same scale

Expert Insight

Experts advise not to let your feelings fluctuate along with your weight. For example, try not to get too hyped up about that 1-lb. loss or too down in the dumps about that 2-lb. gain. Burning fat is a very slow process, and alternately celebrating or beating yourself up for the yo-yo effect is not helpful.


Warning

Weight fluctuations are completely normal and happen to everyone all the time. Women may gain several pounds with each cycle of menstruation (triggered by hormones). Drink water, exercise and keep salt to a minimum, and this will disappear as swiftly as it arrived.


You can read the entire article here. You know, I am so grateful I found this info. Now being informed and by the grace of God, I will not set myself up again for the emotional set back I felt when I stepped on the scale this morning. Nope! Going forward, I now realize that my weight may fluctuate from time to time, but ultimately, this long and steady goal is still to take my body back, slowly, deliberately - one pound at a time. I have already overcome the hump of adding "movement" and consistent activity with my daily treadmill, I am drinking 4 -5 bottles of water a day and folks, I was doing neither of those prior to 3 weeks ago. So, I say to myself, "Keep up the good work." "Good job Bec!" and "I am going to succeed!" And, so are you guys!

Thanks for being a part of this with me, and stay encouraged!

Until tomorrow ~ sweet and slender dreams!


Please give us a click on the button below. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. amazing article. your transparency is so relatable and makes me want to read more and stay encouraged with my own path to loose the pounds. thank you for putting yourself out there. you are an awesome woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how inspirational this post is, do you? This is the most inspirational post to date! You see, when you're losing on the scale it is very easy to be motivated to keep going, but when the scale doesn't say you've lost that is when true inspiration has to kick in! Your post is about overcoming the lies in your head that lead you to give up! OVERCOMING...how more inspirational can you be?

    We all benefit from your posts that give us the plan...great ideas to implement...great success stories, but today you have given us exactly what everyone needs. By your courage to share your experience, you have given us hope that we will succeed in getting our bodies back!

    Thanks so much, Bec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Jess! Coming from you that is quite the compliment! I so glad you get encouragement from reading honey. I get the same when you post and comment. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jac - You are so right! I probably don't. As you know, I was also very concerned that my so called "failure" would be a discouragement to the group. I really labored over that and felt bad. You helped me realize how goofy I was being and helped bring me back to a reality check. You are the best sister I could have ever asked for!

    Thanks for the encouragement and I am so, so glad you find the blog encouraging to you too! We are gonna do it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel discouraged! It is normal for a women to gain weight while on her cycle, it's usually caused by retaining water. When your cycle ends you should lose that extra weight in a day or two. It's also normal to have cravings associated with your cycle. Do you perhaps add more salt to your food? If so, that can also cause water retention. With you being sick I assume that you increased your fluid intake and that combined with your cycle equals.....more water retention. You very well could have lost weight (body fat) this past week, you're just not seeing it on the scale because of water retention. Just thought I'd give you a little reassurance, I'm a nurse.

    On another note, kudos on choosing to lose weight the health way. The best way to make a lifestyle change is slowly, one day at a time, and you're doing it! It is so nice to watch someone develop a healthier lifestyle and a healthier relationship with food. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well thank you so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate your expertise, being a nurse and all and thank you again for taking the time to comment! I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I can fluctuate 2-3 pounds a day! some up, some down. I didn't know you were sick. so sorry to hear that. Thank the Lord, with everything I've had going on, I have remained healthy with no major issues, no migraines, no cold sores... etc... I'm still not hitting the goal of water I need and I am a salt fan. Not a sweets eater, not a chocolate fan but put a bag of chips in front of me and I'm a pig!

    Anyway, I'm again going to follow your lead and do my weigh in's once a week. I think I'll do Friday's... stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are heading in the right direction Lisa! That is what matters! The water thing surprisingly has probably been the easiest new habit for me to form. I like salt, too. I use sea salt. But, I am trying to limit it just a tad.

    How fortunate for you that you are not a big sweet eater! And, any of us can relate the bag of chip weakness! ;-)

    Weekly weigh-ins will continue for me, but I have just been better informed not to be knocked off my motivation if I have a fluctuation that does not reflect my efforts for the week. It is all in the long term accumulation that we are after. So, so happy that you are on board.

    We are all going to feel so much better getting rid of the clutter that has moved in! ;-)

    ReplyDelete